Vietnam Law & Legal Forum Magazine is your gateway to the law of Vietnam

Official Gazette

Saturday, January 28, 2023

Overseas Vietnamese and families to enjoy visa exemption

Updated: 17:03’ - 30/09/2015
From November 15, overseas Vietnamese and foreigners who are spouses or children of Vietnamese citizens or overseas Vietnamese will be exempted from visas when entering the country.

Such is provided in Government Decree No. 82 dated September 24, which sets out requirements for the above-mentioned people to acquire visa exemption papers.

Overseas Vietnamese and foreigners who are spouses or children of Vietnamese citizens or overseas Vietnamese will be subject to visa exemption from November 15__Photo:

Accordingly, they are required to produce passports or international travel documents which remain valid for at least one year from the date of entry, and papers proving that they are overseas Vietnamese or foreigners being spouses or parents of Vietnamese citizens or overseas Vietnamese (marriage certificate, birth certificate, or a document certifying the relationship, e.g., child adoption certificate).

In addition, they must not fall into the cases subject to suspension from entry and exit prescribed in Articles 21 and 28 of the Law on Entry, Exit, Transit and Residence of Foreigners in Vietnam.

Overseas Vietnamese will have to submit a dossier for grant of visa exemption paper to an overseas Vietnamese agency competent to grant Vietnamese visa, while foreigners temporarily residing in Vietnam will have to submit such dossier to the Immigration Management Department.

The visa exemption paper, which is valid for up to five years and expires at least 6 months before the expiration of the holder’s passport or international travel document, will be attached to the passport.

However, it may be a loose sheet in case where the applicant’s passport runs out of blank visa pages or is issued by a state that has not yet established diplomatic relation with Vietnam, the applicant has an international travel document or requests to have his/her paper issued separately from his/her passport, or for the reason of external relations, national defense or security.- (VLLF)

Send Us Your Comments:

See also:


Vietnam Law & Legal Forum